30.8.05

Drinking With Giants

Well, I was left to my own devices last Friday night, as my (much) better half was on-duty as a bridesmaid, hanging out at the home of the bride-to-be the night before her wedding.

So, what does a young man, full of p*ss and vinegar and temporarily on his own, do when he has a night to himself in Canada's biggest city, in the heart of the club district?

Go drinking with fellow right-wing and libertarian bloggers, that's what! Tres cool, non?

But all jokes aside, last Friday was a great time, and I spent it in the company of some very bright, friendly & interesting folks at the B. & B. Pub on Queen West. Unfortunately, I didn't catch the names of all those present, but we had some top-drawer opinionators there, including LIB's Bob, Nicholas of Quotulatiousness (thanks for the advice re: updating, btw, but as you can see, I still have a ways to go!), D. Brooks of B. Brooks, Greg Staples, Mike Brock, Ian Scott, and more.

Paul Tuns was there, and selling his book, Jean Chretien: A Legacy of Scandal (A su-poib book, although the title's a little bit too subtle, no?), and Yrs Truly got his own autographed copy of same. I also had had some very enjoyable conversations with Brenda Tipper of Tipperography and Kate of The Last Amazon. The only downside to the evening was the number of folks I didn't get to speak to.

What's more, Trinity-Spadina's own CPC candidate, Sam Goldstein (website on the way) was there, meeting and greeting (and recruiting!).

There are pictures of the gathering up here and here and here. Thankfully, my ugly mug seems to be absent from all / most of the pic's.

In short, a fun time was had by me, even if I did sometimes suffer from a serious case of blogger envy:

Well-Known Blogger Who Shall Remain Nameless: "Yeah, on a good day, I can get a thousand or so hits ... but sometimes when it gets slow, I only get a few hundred a day."

Jason Hickman, Thinking of His Measly 2.5K-ish hits: "Yeah, {nervous laugh}, I can see how that can get annoying - Barkeep, another Guiness please - NOW!"

... but hey, you can only learn from the best!

More later.

3 Comments:

At 12:12 a.m., Blogger The Brigadier, Red Ensign Brigade said...

It was a good gathering. I think I managed to find my own way home, eventually. The VRWC piss-ups are always at the very least entertaining, if not also educational.

 
At 1:18 a.m., Blogger X said...

Speaking about Blogs and hits, check out this story:

http://talkcanada.blogspot.com/2005_08_01_talkcanada_archive.html#112545056910124098

Kinsella was claiming that his site got more than 50,000 hits some day. But the reality is.......

 
At 12:24 p.m., Blogger Jason Hickman said...

Warren - exaggerate?? Heaven forfend!

(That said, I wouldn't mind getting close to the # of hits that he is getting a day, which aint nothin' to sneeze at.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home