1.11.06

Stopped Clock Report: Alec Baldwin

... As in, "even a stopped clock is right once a day" - or twice a day, I guess, if it's one of those old-timey non-digitial .... well, anyway, where was I ...

Oh, yeah, this. I'm not exactly in accord with most of the political opinions of the Baldwin Bros., but it's nice to see that Alec draws the line at comparing a politician he doesn't like with the Nazis. Good for him for doing so.

Of course, it's a pretty sad state of affairs when even that amount of class is deemed newsworthy.

Yeah, I know: not exactly top-of-the-headlines content, eh? I'll try to do better later today.

More later.

3 Comments:

At 3:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just stumbled upon your blogsite. What is a "libertarian conservative"? No offense intended, but I think that's a contradiction in terms. Libertarians and conservatives are so far apart on so many issues that I don't see how a person can be both. (I'm an unhyphenated libertarian.)

 
At 4:55 p.m., Blogger Jason Hickman said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:57 p.m., Blogger Jason Hickman said...

It is a contradiction in many respects (of course, so was/is "Progressive Conservative"!), and no offence taken.

Yes, they are far apart on many issues, but less so on others. I suppose it's because when it comes to public policy, and especially economic policy, I tend to favour the more small-c conservative approach, which on many issues, is close to the small-l libertarian approach.

On social issues, I tend to favour a more libertarian-type stance, at least when it comes to public policy.

There are a few reasons why I'm not a "big-L" libertarian, and why I don't call myself an "unhyphenated libertarian". I often find myself disagreeing with what is usually presented as LP foreign policy (at least, insofar as the LP-USA is concerned). I also tend to believe in a slightly more active role for government than most libertarians I know.

But all of that said, I tend to agree with a number of libertarian-style policies, and at least some of the libertarian criticsims of the US govt (to take one government as an example).

The Canadian Conservative Party, like many other "small-c" conservative parties around the world, has various groups within it - social conservatives, "Red Tories", etc. I fall more within the libertarian end, on most (not all) issues.

Hope that answers your question. Please c'mon back and comment some more, if the spirit moves you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home