10.11.06

Fookin' French?

Sensitivity Alert: Some folks may say I'm endorsing the following "point of view" as expressed by Oasis gee-tarist Noel Gallaghe by linking to it - not so. Of the things I would want to change about this country, official bilingualism is pretty darn low on the list - assuming it's on said "list" at all. I just think this is kinda funny, in an insensitive sort of way, and heck, it's *Friday*. But we know that un-PC thoughts of partisan bloggers like yours truly can sometimes be used as weapons of mass distraction by opponents, don't we?

So with that brave-hearted disclaimer on my part out of the way: On with the show ...

Used to be that Noel Gallagher was the relatively sane one of the Oasis Bros., but it seems as though the key word is "relatively".

On a recent swing through Canada, Noel took the time to share his thoughts with Canadian mag Exclaim, and in passing, had this to say about our bilingual nation:


Q. What do you think of when you think of Canada?

A. I think of being absolutely freezing fookin’ cold. And I also think of this fookin’ weird, weird French influence. What’s that all about? What business have they got over there? Why French? I was in a Dunkin Donuts in Canada, and the menu was in French — the whole thing, right. And I asked the woman for a coffee, and she only spoke French. Now, I’ve taken a lot of drugs in my time mate, but I’ve got to say that the single most frightening experience of my life was thinking, “I could have swore I was fookin’ in Canada when I got off that tour bus. And now I’m in… am I? No. I don’t know.” And then I said to the woman, “You can speak English, can’t you?” And I think she was getting annoyed that I was being a bit rude by that point, because she was only speaking French. I was going, “I know you can speak English. We’re in Canada. And I know you understand what I’m saying.” I may have brought up something about the war and then left.

Let's just say Noel doesn't look a heck of a lot better via the rest of his answers.

Michael Ignatieff really needs to give this man a good talking-to, dontcha think?

More later.

1 Comments:

At 7:17 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think them Federal Tories should follow the Quebec lead which made that Province French only and make the Rest of Canada English only.
Oh Gee - that might cause some lost of votes in Quebec and no one wants that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home